Sweet potato casseroles are staple on holidays. The pecan nuts give the casserole a crunch and the marshmallows provide it a creamy texture.
It is one of my favorite recipe. For people who do not like marshmallows, they can opt to spread a layer of pecan sauteed in butter. So make your own version and enjoy.
- 1 quart baking dish
- Cooking spray
- Spoon/ spatula
Sweet potato casserole
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Calories: 215
- Protein: 2 grams
- Canned cooked yams/ sweet potato – 1 can (40 ounce)
- Egg – 1 large
- Brown sugar – ¼ cup
- Unsalted butter – ¼ cup (melted)
- Cinnamon – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Small marshmallows – 8 ounces
- Pecans – ¼ cup (chopped)
- Start by preheating the oven at 350 ˚F or 180 ˚
- Now take the 1-quart baking dish and coat it with cooking spray and keep it aside.
- Take a large mixing bowl, empty the canned yams/ sweet potato in it (drained). Now, with the help of a masher, mash the yams/ sweet potatoes well. You can even use the back of a spoon to mash them.
- To this mashed yam, add ¼ cup of melted butter, ¼ cup brown sugar, 1 large egg, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Mix everything to combine together.
- Take the sprayed baking dish and spread the above prepared yam mixture, evenly.
- Put this in the oven and bake it for 30 minutes. Do not cover it.
- After 30 minutes, remove the dish from the oven and make a layer of 8 ounces of marshmallows and ¼ cup pecan nuts.
- Now put your oven on broiler mode and place this dish in the upper-middle rack. Broil this for 1-2 minutes. Consider it done when the marshmallows turn slightly brown.
- Take it out of the oven and serve warm.
Tips and tricks:
- You can replace the canned sweet potatoes with fresh ones. Just peel, cut and boil the sweet potatoes until they are soft. Drain them and then you can proceed with the recipe as given.
- While buying canned yam/ sweet, make sure the vegetable inside the can is orange and NOT white.
- You can make this dish in advance. Just prepare the sweet potato mixture and lay it in the baking dish. Keep it in the fridge after covering it with a cling wrap or aluminum foil. This can be kept for up to 2 days. Do not add the marshmallows here.
- Add the marshmallows only at the end of baking, or else marshmallows put on the cold casserole tend to get gooey.
- You can store the leftover casserole in a cling wrap or in an air tight container.
For reheating, put it back in the oven at 350֯C. Alternately you can cut the casserole into pieces and put them in air fryer. Do NOT reheat in a microwave. When reheated in a microwave the marshmallows explode.
Take out the marshmallows when reheating. Reheating with the marshmallows makes them gooey and look awful.