In your busy winter schedules make this creamy, tasty, and full of veggies soup this weekend. It’s super easy to make this slow cooker ham and potato soup at home just by following the simple recipe mentioned in this post.
Even if you are a beginner you can make this recipe so tasty that everyone enjoying this soup will tag you as a perfect cook.
- Slow cooker
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 4 hours
Total Time – 4 hours 15 minutes
Servings – 8 people
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup
- Diced russet potatoes – 8 cups
- Diced yellow onion – 1
- Large carrots – 2
- Chopped celery- 1/2 cup
- Cubed Ham- 16 ounces
- Kosher salt- 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper (Coarse ground) – 1/4teaspoon
- Flour- 1/4 cup
- Chicken broth4cups
- Heavy cream- 1 1/2 cups
- Sour cream- ½ cup
- Peel potatoes and cut into cubes.
- Now wash and keep in water so that it does turn brown till you do other preparations.
- Peel and wash carrot and cut slightly thick pieces so that carrots are not over-cooked in a slow cooker.
- Peel and cut the yellow onion into big pieces.
- Take the ham piece and Cut into bite-size pieces.
- Now all your chopped ingredients are ready so let’s start.
- Add chopped potatoes, chopped carrots, chopped onion, ham pieces, celery, pepper, and kosher salt.
- Now add 4cups of chicken broth.
- Cover it with a lid and cook for around 7to 8 hours.
- Now take some potatoes out in a bowl and mash it with the masher. We are doing this to thicken the soup.
- Now add1/4th cup of flour, ½ cup of sour cream, and 1 ½ cup of heavy cream and stir.
- Cover the slow cooker again and cook for around 15minutes more on high.
- Your tasty and super healthy Slow Cooker Ham and Potato Soup is ready to serve.
- If you don’t have a heavy dream you can use one glass of milk instead.
- Before putting it away don’t leave ham and potato soup out for more than 2 hours as bacteria can start growing in it.
- Before storing in the fridge let the soup cool down to room temperature. Store it in a sealable container. You can store it for 2to 3 days in the fridge but if you store it for more days it would be good to throw it away and make a fresh one.
- Don’t freeze it as the soup will get a grainy texture after defrosting.