The ground beef and cabbage soup is easy to make, one-pot soup, healthy, and flavorful. What else can you ask for? And the best part is that it takes only 30 minutes to cook this soup.
This soup is all you need. It is comforting, it is packed with goodness of all the veggies, and proteins from the beef. It is gluten-free and low in carbs. All in all it is a GUILT free soup. So, go on and enjoy this soup.
- Cooking this soup doesn’t need any special equipment at all. It is a one pot meal that is quick and easy. It can be cooked on stove top as well as in an instant pot.
Ground beef cabbage soup
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Calories: 168
- Protein: 14g
- Ground beef – 1 pound
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Black pepper – 1 teaspoon (coarsely ground)
- Yellow onion – 1 (chopped)
- Tomato sauce – 8 ounces
- Beef broth – 4 cups
- Cabbage – 4 cups (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- Carrots – 2 (sliced)
- Celery stalks – 2 (sliced)
- Tomatoes – 14 ounces (diced, do not drain the liquid)
On the stove top:
- Place a large pot on high heat and heat oil.
- To this add 1 pound ground beef, 1 chopped yellow onion, 2 teaspoon salt (or to your taste), 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper.
- Keep breaking the beef while cooking and cook it till it is brown in color. This might take about 6-8 minutes.
- Once the beef looks done, add in 8 ounces tomato sauce, 4 cups beef broth, 4 cups cabbage that has been cut into 1-inch cube, 2 sliced carrots, 2 stalks of celery, and 14 ounces of diced tomatoes. Mix it thoroughly to bring everything together.
- Bring the soup to a boil and let it cook on low heat for about 20 minutes or till you see that the cabbage and carrots are tender.
In the instant pot:
- Place your instant pot on sauté mode and add olive oil in it.
- Add ground beef, chopped onion, salt, and pepper in the instant pot and cook till they are nice brown in color.
- Now, in the instant pot, add the beef broth, tomato sauce, carrots, celery, diced tomatoes, and cabbage.
- Close the instant pot and cook the ground beef and cabbage soup on high pressure for about 15 minutes.
- Release the pressure from the pot quickly and serve hot.
Tips and tricks:
- Sauté the veggies on high heat to keep them crunchy. Cooking them on low heat will make them mushy.
- Enjoy this ground beef and cabbage soup warm.
- If you are making this soup in advance then you can store it in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. This soup will remain good in the fridge if it’s kept well covered.
- You can also freeze the ground beef and cabbage soup in the freezer for around 2-3 months. Keep it in a freezer bag or an airtight container. And then when you want to enjoy it, take it out of the freezer, thaw it in the fridge overnight and reheat it on stove top on medium heat.