If you are looking for comfort food then this recipe is the one. Loaded with the goodness of chicken and vegetables this soup is just the thing you would be looking for in the cold weather.
It is thick, creamy, delicious and healthy at the same time. It has everything that your soul and your taste palette would want on a cold evening to make you feel warm and satiated.
Making this soup is a child’s play and believe you me, you and your family is going to love this.
- Spoon to stir
Creamy chicken tortellini soup
- Time for preparation: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Calories: 529 Cal
- Protein: 21 grams
- Olive Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Onions – 2 medium
- Carrots – 3 large (chopped)
- Frozen sweet corn – 2 cups
- Chicken – 3 cups (cooked and shredded)
- Celery – 3 stalks (chopped)
- Garlic – 2 cloves (minced)
- Butter – 4 tablespoons
- All purpose flour – ¼ cup
- Low sodium Chicken stock – 4 cups
- Heavy cream – 1 ½ cups
- Whole milk – 2 cups
- Cheese tortellini – 1 packet (8 ounce)
- Dried thyme – 1 teaspoon
- Dried oregano – 1 teaspoon
- Italian seasoning – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Black pepper – ½ teaspoon
- For Garnish:
- Fresh thyme, red pepper flakes, grated parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley.
- Cook the Tortellini by boiling salted water in a large pan. Read the cooking instructions given on the back of the tortellini packet for directions.
- When cooked, drain it and leave it aside.
- Now, in a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on medium low heat. To this, add 2 medium onions chopped. Sauté the onions for about 5 minutes. When the onions soften, add 3 large chopped carrots, and 3 stalks of chopped celery. Give this a good mix to combine everything and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Once the above veggies have been cooked for 5 minutes, add butter and 2 cloves of garlic that has been minced. When the butter has melted, add to it ¼ cup of all-purpose-flour and stir continuously for a minute to cook the flour.
- Now, gradually add the chicken broth and whisk, making sure that no lumps are formed.
- Add 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper.
- Now add 2 cups milk and 1 ½ cups heavy cream to this.
- Increase the heat till the soup reaches to a boil. Once it starts to boil reduce the heat to medium low immediately.
- At this point add the boiled and shredded chicken and the frozen corns. Let this boil for about 5 minutes and then add the pre cooked tortellini.
- Serve hot and garnish with parmesan cheese, chopped parsley, and thyme.
Tips and tricks:
- You might want to put the cooked tortellini directly in the soup and then pour the soup on top of it.
- You can use any kind of leftover chicken in this recipe.
- I have used cheese tortellini in here but feel free to use frozen or dry tortellini.