French toast with cinnamon is a perfect combination and you cannot go wrong with this. It is an all time hit. This dish is easy to prepare and insanely tasty.
The best part about this dish is that the preparations can be done a day before. It is an absolute delight to have it warm for breakfast or brunch.
- 9 x 13 casserole dish
- Large bowl
- Loaf of French or sourdough bread – 1 pound
- Large eggs – 8
- Milk (whole or 2%) – 2 cups (480ml)
- Heavy whipping cream – ½ cup (120ml)
- Granulated sugar – ½ cup (140g)
- Packed light brown sugar – ¼ cup (36g)
- Cinnamon powder – 1½ teaspoon
- Vanilla extract – 2 tablespoons
For streusel topping:
- All purpose flour – ¾ cup (98g)
- Packed light brown sugar – ¾ cup (169g)
- Cinnamon powder – 2 teaspoons
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Butter (cut in to pieces) – ½ cup (112g)
Overnight french toast casserole
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Calories: 351
- Protein: 7.9 grams
- Prepare a 9 x 13 casserole dish by greasing it and keep it aside.
- Now take the bread loaf and cut it in to chunks of 1 inch and lay it evenly at the bottom of casserole dish.
- Take a large bowl, add 8 large eggs, 2 cups milk, ½ cup heavy whipping cream, ½ cup granulated sugar, ¼ cup packed light brown sugar, 2 tablespoon vanilla extract, and 1½ teaspoon cinnamon powder. Whisk all these together to form a homogenous mixture.
- Pour this mixture on the bread pieces, in the casserole, evenly so that all the pieces are soaked in it.
- Now cover the casserole with a cling wrap or a foil and set it in the fridge for couple of hours or best overnight.
- It’s time to get the streusel topping ready. For this, mix together ¾ cup flour, ¾ cup packed light brown sugar, 2 tablespoons cinnamon powder, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Give these all ingredients a good and then add ½ cup butter that has been cut in to pieces. Mix well till everything comes together till it looks crumbly.
- Whenever you want to bake the casserole, preheat the oven at 350 ֯F.
- Before putting the casserole in to the oven, sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the prepared bread in the casserole. Make sure you cover the as much as of the casserole as possible.
- When you are done topping the casserole, put it in the oven and bake it for 45 minutes.
- When done serve warm with your favourite toppings like syrup, powdered sugar or fresh fruits.
Tips and tricks:
- The streusel can be made earlier and kept in the fridge.
- The baking time of the casserole may vary depending on your oven.
- If you want your casserole moist and soft then bake for lesser time, similarly if you want your casserole firmer and less moist then bake it longer.
- If you intend to use a softer bread like brioche or challah then it would be a good idea to cut it in to pieces and leaving it open on the counter top to dry and harden.