Come winters and just the thought of a piping hot soup brings a smile on our face. Soups are also very much welcomed at my home on rainy days. This crock pot chicken tortilla soup is an easy to make soup.
The assembling of the ingredients is so quick that it hardly takes any time. It is a good idea to prepare for this soup in the morning just before you leave for work and a hot, delicious soup would be waiting for you when you are back.
It is a favourite at my dinner table and it’s easy for me when I have a busy day. It’s a recipe that your kids are going to like it too. The flavour of the chicken tortilla really infuses in the soup in this slow cook method. Though the ingredients mentioned here look a little overwhelming but believe me it’s hardly going to take you any time.
- 5-quart crock pot
- Spoon/ spatula
The best crock pot chicken tortilla soup
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 hours 15 minutes
- Calories: 495
- Proteins: 26 g
- Chicken breasts – 1 pound
- Onion – 1 medium sized, diced
- Garlic – 2 cloves, minced
- Chicken or beef broth – 15 ounce can
- Water – 1 cup
- Corn – 15 ounce can (do not drain it)
- Diced tomatoes and green chillies – 15 ounce can (do not drain it)
- Enchilada sauce – 11 ounce can
- Taco seasoning – 1 packet
- Chilli powder – ½ teaspoon
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- For topping
- Shredded cheese
- Crunchy tortilla strips
- Season the 1pound chicken breasts with salt and pepper and keep it at the bottom of your 5-quart crock pot.
- To this add 1 medium sized, diced onion and 2 cloves of minced garlic.
- Add 15 ounce can of chicken broth (you can also use beef broth here), 1 cup water, 15 ounce can of corn, 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes and green chilies, and 11 ounce can of enchilada sauce. Give it all a god stir.
- To this add 1 packet of taco seasoning, ½ teaspoon chili powder and mix everything again.
- Cover the crock pot with the lid and cook on low for about 8-10 hours.
- Whenever you are ready to serve, just 15 minutes prior to that, take the chicken breasts out and shred them using two forks or your fingers.
- Now put this shredded chicken back in to the crack pot and mix well.
- Cook it for additional 15 minutes and serve.
- You can top it with shredded cheese or crispy tortilla strips before serving.
Tips and tricks:
- Using the fork to shred the chicken makes the task easier and less messy.
- You can feel free to add your favourite topping in place of cheese. Diced avocado or fresh cilantro also go well with this soup.
- You can also go ahead and add black beans to it with other ingredients. It really gives the soup a nice texture.
- If you want to make this a whole meal then you can serve this with corn bread or any bread of your choice.