This is an easy to make soup. You will be able to whip this up in about 30 minutes. It is rich in flavors and is so creamy that it will leave a lingering taste in your mouth even after you have finished your bowl.
It is such a loaded soup that it will satiate your hunger in itself. You would not need an accompaniment with this.
- It is a one pot soup. So, a soup pot is all that is required to make this soup.
Easy chicken taco soup
- Time for preparation: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Calories: 366 Cal
- Protein: 21 grams
- Cooked/ rotisserie Chicken – 2 cups
- Corn – 1 (12 fluid ounce) can (drained)
- Black beans – 1 (14 fluid ounce) can (drained and rinsed)
- Onion – ½ (medium sized) (chopped)
- Red bell pepper – ½ (chopped)
- Ro-tel tomatoes and green chilies – 2 (10 fluid ounce) cans (do not drain the juice)
- Garlic powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Smoked paprika – 1 teaspoon
- Chilli powder – 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Chicken broth – 3 cups
- Cream cheese – 1 block of 8 ounce (softened)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- You can use shredded Tex-Mex cheese blend, avocado, cilantro, avocado, jalapeno peppers, tortilla strips and much more.
- Let the cream cheese soften up by keeping it out of the fridge. Alternately you can microwave it for around 20-30 seconds. Do it in 10 seconds burst to prevent the cheese from melting or curdling.
- Now, to a soup pot add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and ½ medium sized chopped onion. Take onions and saute them over a medium high heat for around 5 minutes
- When the onion is done, add ½ chopped red bell pepper, 2 cans Ro-tel diced tomatoes and green chilies with juices, 1 can corn, 1 can black beans, 3 cups chicken broth, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon cumin powder, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, and 1 tablespoon chili powder. Stir it thoroughly so that everything comes together.
- Turning the heat to high and let the soup come to a boil. Now decrease the heat and reduce the soup by boiling it for 5 minutes. Do not cover the soup pot at this point.
- While the soup reduces, you can prepare for toppings. Cut the block of cream cheese and put it in the soup. Stir the soup again for sometime till the cheese melts.
- Once the cheese melts add in the chicken and let it cook for another 5-7 minutes. Now add salt and pepper and check and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve hot with your desired toppings. You can drizzle the soup with few drops of lemon to give it a lemony flavour.
Tips and tricks:
- You can use regular tomatoes in place of Rotel diced tomatoes but using canned diced chilies is recommended.
- To increase the thickness of the soup you can add corn starch slurry few minutes before serving. Cook the soup for a couple of minutes after adding the corn starch slurry.
- You can store this soup for 3-5 days in the fridge or for up to 3 months in the refrigerator.
- The cream cheese can be replaced with heavy cream.