Chicken fried rice is the ‘GO TO’ recipe at my home when I am in no mood to cook an elaborate meal. I love this rice because of simplicity and it is loaded with the goodness of vegetables, eggs and chicken.
Chicken fried rice is the best way to feed the kids with necessary nutrition of vegetables.
- Spoon/ spatula
Chicken Fried rice
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Long grain white rice – 4 cups (cooked and cooled)
- Eggs – 3 large
- Chicken breast or thighs – 1 ¼ lbs (cut in thin bite size pieces)
- Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Carrots, peeled and finely chopped – 2 large
- Peas – ¾ cup (frozen)
- Garlic – 2 cloves (minced)
- Green onions – 2 (chopped)
- Vegetable oil – 2-3 tablespoons
- Butter – 2 tablespoon
- Low sodium soy sauce – 3-5 tablespoon
- Sesame oil – ½ teaspoon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat and heat 1 tablespoon oil in it.
- Once the oil is sufficiently heated make a layer of the chicken and let it cook on both sides. This should take around 4-5 minutes for the chicken to be completely cooked. Flip the chicken pieces to cook them on both sides.
- Remove from heat and transfer them to a plate and wrap them to keep warm.
- In the same skillet heat 1 tablespoon of oil and add 1 medium chopped onion, 2 large carrots finely chopped, and ¾ cup frozen peas. Cook it over medium high heat and keep stirring. Decrease the heat and add 2 cloves of minced garlic. Keep stirring constantly till it gives out a fine aroma.
- Remove from heat and transfer the vegetables on a plate and cover the plate to keep the veggies warm.
- In a bowl whisk 3 large eggs.
- Place the skillet used for the chicken on low heat and add ½ tablespoon butter. Add the eggs to it and cook till the eggs are set. When done transfer it to a plate and cover the plate to keep the eggs warm.
- In the same skillet again, over medium heat, add the remaining butter. Let it heat and then add 4 cups of cooked and cooled rice to it. Add 3-5 tablespoon of soy sauce to it. You can adjust the amount of soy sauce according to your liking of sourness.
- Turn the heat to high and fry the rice until slightly brown.
- Add ½ teaspoon of sesame oil to the rice and sprinkle the green onions on it. Keep stirring it to bring everything together. Be gentle while you stir, to prevent the rice from breaking.
- Add the cooked chicken, eggs and vegetables to the rice and cook it till everything is warm. Check and adjust the seasoning. Season it with salt and pepper.
Tips and tricks
- You can decrease or increase the amount of soy sauce as per you liking.
- Take a really large skillet to avoid overcrowding it. Overcrowding your skillet will lead to breaking of rice and becoming mushy.
- Cut your chicken and veggies into small pieces so they cook faster and are easier to eat.