Fried mozzarella sticks are my kids favourite. And it makes frequent appearances on my “snacks to make” list. So here are the low calorie mozzarella sticks.
These are air fried and believe me they taste as good as the deep fried ones. They are perfectly crisp, golden and insanely delicious.
Air frying it makes them light on your stomach and less messy on your hands and around your work area. Since they have shed off their extra calories I am super happy to feed them to my kids.
- Baking tray
- Wax paper
- Small bowls
- Spoon/ spatula
Air fryer mozzarella sticks
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Calories: 314
- Protein: 25.7g
- Mozzarella cheese – 8 sticks
- Flour – ¼ cup
- Eggs – 2 large
- Panko bread crumbs – 1 cup
- Italian spices – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic powder- ½ teaspoon
- Black pepper, freshly ground – ¼ teaspoon
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoon
- Marinara sauce – ⅔ cup (optional)
- Preheat the air fryer at 390 degrees.
- Take a mozzarella cheese block and cut it into sticks. Alternately you can take mozzarella sticks and cut them in to half.
- In one bowl add flour and in another bowl whisk 2 eggs together.
- Now in a third bowl mix 1 cup of bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon of Italian spices, ½ teaspoon of black pepper, and ½ teaspoon of garlic powder. Give it good and bring everything together to make it homogenous mixture.
- Firstly, roll the mozzarella sticks in the flour, then dip them in the whisked eggs and then coat them with the seasoned bread crumbs. Do this one by one. Do not put all the sticks at once in the flour. Make sure that the mozzarella sticks are coated evenly with all three ingredients.
- Place them on a baking tray or a flat plate, lined with a wax paper. While place them on the tray or plate, space them out to prevent them from sticking to each other.
- Put this baking tray/ flat plate in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, drizzle olive oil on the mozzarella sticks. And place the sticks in the air fryer basket keeping space in between them.
- Cook the mozzarella sticks in the air fryer for 5 minutes or till they are golden brown in colour and look crispy.
- Keep an eye on them as the cheese tends to ooze out occasionally. If the cheese starts to ooze out then take them out of the air fryer immediately.
Tips and tricks:
- If you want to make them extra crispy then double coat mozzarella sticks with flour, eggs and bread crumbs. In this case you might have to increase the quantity of flour, bread and eggs.
- Coating them evenly is the key to prevent the cheese from oozing out.
- For best result keep the coated mozzarella sticks for 30 minutes in the freezer.
- These sticks taste best with warm marinara sauce.
- These mozzarella sticks can be frozen for up to 3 months.